BBC Earth Asia Edition Volume 15 Issue 6
The BBC Earth Magazine is a bimonthly issue under the reputable BBC Earth Channel that features a series of opinion pieces and news articles surrounding the latest developments in SCIENCE, HISTORY and NATURE. On top of educating readers who are not well-versed in these topics, it also provides critical perspectives that inspire them to think more deeply about contentious issues.
The BBC Earth Magazine is thus HIGHLY BENEFICIAL for Secondary School students, as it empowers students to produce well-analysed essays and understand critical ideas conveyed in comprehension passages.
Why BBC Earth Magazine?
With excellent track records, awards winning titles and rave reviews among readers, BBC Earth has been in the Asia market for 10 years. BBC Earth Magazine is content-driven, packed with fascinating and informative features by experts and illustrated with quality photography. There are TV Channels – BBC Global Channels and pay channels in Asia for the BBC Earth cable programme.
*To qualify for the MOE Staff Exclusive Offer, sign up for subscription with your MOE email address.
- Snapshots – Features three stunning images from each of the three main topics: SCIENCE, NATURE and HISTORY.
- Updates: The Latest Intelligence – Shares and highlights new and exciting forms of technology and innovations.
- World News – Gives readers information on current affairs. Will be split into REVIEW, COMMENT and ANALYSIS. This section is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for students as it provides the necessary content that they can use in their essay writing.
- Discoveries – Updates on the latest scientific discoveries.
- Features – Main articles that focus on the topics of SCIENCE, NATURE and HISTORY. Selected articles also come with an audio reader, which allows readers to listen to the article as they read.
- Do You Know – Burning questions by readers are answered by experts in the field. Useful for those who have not yet cultivated a good reading habit as the segment is able to create curiosity in readers.
- Brain Test– Includes crossword puzzles.
- A Scientist’s Guide to Life – Scientists provide readers advice on various topics (e.g. on health, fitness, lifestyle) to improve daily habits and overall quality of life
- Comment – Features more argumentative or opinion-based articles, which help to teach students how to structure their own argumentative essays.
WORKSHEETS FOR ENRICHING LEARNING
- Enrich learning experience.
- Strengthen students’ command of the English language and their reading and writing skills
- Comprises of different comprehension questions (e.g. inference, vocabulary, etc.) based on selected articles from the magazine
- Essay questions provided
- Can be easily integrated into classroom activities as they come with helpful exam tips and suggested answers